Based in Normanton in the Lower Gulf of Carpentaria, Queensland, Kurtijar Aboriginal Corporation’s vision is to work together as a community to establish a solid foundation towards independence, community wellbeing and cultural identity now and for future generations.
Kurtijar People have made a commitment to:
- Protect our culture and country to pass onto future generations;
- Healthy country and healthy people;
- Traditional Owners and Rangers caring for country;
- Strong culture and connection to country;
- Jobs and economic benefits from country;
- Strong partnerships with all stakeholders on country;
- Support the sustainable development of pastoralism on country.
Kurtijar Aboriginal Corporation (KAC) was formed in September 1994 to represent the interests of the 17 clan / family groups of the Kurtijar people whose traditional lands are based in the Normanton and Karumba region of Queensland.
Kurtijar People are the Traditional Owners of the land, rivers and saltwater country in the south-east Gulf of Carpentaria between the Norman River and the Staaten River, and extending about 100 km inland.